Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Watermelon Day!


So technically, we are on "summer break" and not doing any themes or specific activities at our house right now (just having fun in the garden, playing with chalk and water and trying different parks in SP with Dixie) but I've been researching things for a summer picnic that I am helping with and I am finding all of these cute and fun watermelon ideas so we just HAD to try some!

Watermelon Sensory Play
I cut a watermelon in half and gave the girls spoons and ice cream scoopers to play and practicing scooping the watermelon with.  Miss M liked to scoop the watermelon and put it in the bowl while Miss L just liked scooping and eating it!
Tips:  Cut a little off the bottom of the watermelon half to create a flat bottom so it doesn't roll as they are playing with it.  The girls had a hard time at first scooping the watermelon so I helped them and scooped some but left it in the watermelon for them to do.



Cookie Cutters
Next, I cut the watermelon halves again to create large, flat "discs" of watermelon and I gave the girls cookie cutters.  The girls loved pushing the cutters into the watermelon to make shapes!  Something different than play dough!


Watermelon Sensory Bag
Next I gave the girls a plastic ziploc bag and asked them to add "watermelon seeds" to it that I had cut out the night before using black craft foam.  Then I squirted clear bubble bath (you could use hair gel if you don't have bubble bath) and a drop of red food coloring.  Then I closed the bags and asked the girls to squish it up.  We taped them to the window so we could keep playing with them later!

2 comments :