Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The best $4 you will ever spend!

My mom is a retired preschool teacher.  As a former Kindergarten teacher and now Mom, I often go to her for advice.  She was (and still is!) an amazing teacher.  She sold much of her teaching supplies at a rummage sale that she had a few summers ago but she kept a few things that were her favorites to share with her future grandchildren.  One of the things she kept that the girls love to play with when we go to Grandma's house is her flannel board.  She made it years ago for her classroom and it was very inexpensive to make. The girls love playing with it so much I had to make one for our house as well!  Here is what you need:
1) a large thick poster board ( I bought mine from Walmart for about $1.50)
2) flannel fabric (buy it a little bigger than the board that you bought, I bought mine from Walmart again for about $3)
3) duct tape
4) flannel pieces for telling stories (I had some that I bought for my classroom that I purchased from Lakeshore.  Here is a link to the story telling set I have http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/p%7CLA920X~~.jsp.  The set I bought from Lakeshore has Velcro on the back and come with a flannel glove for the teacher.  My mom has flannel pieces that a friend made for her.

All you do is wrap the poster board in the fabric, duct tape it to the back and cut the excess fabric and there you go!

The girls are too young right now to tell stories with the characters.  Right now they just like to stick the pieces up and them take them down.  But it has kept them busy for hours!  The best $4 I ever spent!
Miss M putting characters on the flannel board.
I have the board set up on an easel I used in my classroom.

No comments :

Post a Comment