Blog Archive

Monday, February 10, 2014

A mitten kind of day!

Our bear unit lead us into mittens!  Today we read "The Mitten" by Jan Brett.  I have a big book copy of this book from my classroom, which they thought was amazing!  After reading the story, we used the pictures of the animals from the book that I made into masks to act it out.  Here is a link to the masks. http://www.janbrett.com/mitten_masks_main.htm  The girls helped me put the animals in the mitten (that my grandma knitted for me).  They also liked holding the masks and pretending to be the animals!
Then we played with the animals from the book on the flannel board.  I printed out the animals from the website and stuck Velcro on the back.  
Then it was time to make our own mitten.  Lately, the girls have been very interested in colors and shapes so I decided that we would make shape mittens.  I cut out four mittens and helped them glue on different foam shapes.  We talked about the different colors and shapes as we put the shapes on our mittens.  Then during nap, I mounted the mittens on a bigger piece of paper and added yarn.


We read lots of other stories about mittens as well!

Even Dixie liked the book!

1 comment :

  1. So darling!! Thanks so much for sharing on my Facebook page today. I am pinning this to my children's book related crafts & activities pinterest board. Love the mitten craft! http://www.pinterest.com/kbus/childrens-book-related-crafts-and-activities/

    ReplyDelete