Blog Archive

Friday, March 14, 2014

Six Super St. Patrick's Day Activities for Toddlers

Here are six fun St. Patrick's Day activities:


1) Shamrock Collages
I cut large shamrock shapes from white construction paper.  Then I gathered all the green things I could find from my "teacher box", such as green feathers, green shapes and letters, green string, green pom poms, green glitter, etc.  I covered the paper shamrock in a thin layer of school glue and the girls set to work  sticking all of the green items on the shamrock.  



2) Shamrock Garland
The girls loved making the Shamrock Collages (see above) so much that I thought of this idea so they could do it again!  Similar to the Shamrock Collages, I cut several shamrock shapes from green and white paper.  The girls helped me cover the paper shamrocks with a thin layer of glue.  Then they stuck various green items on the shamrocks.  I assembled the garland (punched holes in the shamrocks and tied them on green string) during nap time.  I think it makes our kitchen feel very festive for St. Patrick's Day!


3) Shamrock Paintings
First, I had the girls paint a white piece of paper with green paint.  I used condensed milk and green food coloring for paint this time.  I encouraged them to cover the whole white paper with green paint.  The next day, after the paint had dried, I cut the paintings into shamrock shapes.

Miss L "taste testing" the paint...again!


4) Green St. Patrick's Day Play dough
I made green play dough (here is the basic recipe I use Easy Play Dough Recipeand went around the house looking for all things green... green blocks, green craft sticks, green plastic coins, etc!  The girls love sticking all the different green items in the play dough.  We talked a lot about the color green!  I gave the girls empty ice cube trays for them to stick the play dough in as well.  Great fine motor activity!

5) Field of Shamrocks
I gave the girls a half sheet of green paper and lots of shamrock stickers.  They love stickers so I knew that they would love sticking them everywhere on the paper!  After all the stickers were gone, I showed them how to add lines for stems and grass.


6) Leprechauns
This is a craft that I would do in my Kindergarten classroom every year.  I simplified it a bit for the girls.  I cut out a green hat shape, a green shamrock shape and orange rectangle shapes for the beard. The girls glued the hat on the paper plate (I cut a bit of the paper plate off so the hat would fit better) and then the shamrock on the hat.  Then I gave them googly eyes to glue on and helped them glue on the orange rectangles for the beard. Lastly, we used markers for the nose and mouth.

  








No comments :

Post a Comment