Blog Archive

Thursday, May 29, 2014

A Moo, an Oink, a Cock-a-doodle-do! It's our Farm Unit!

We have been very busy focusing on farm and farm animals for the last three weeks (with a holiday weekend thrown in there).  Here are some fun things we have been doing!



Sticky Window Sheep
I drew an outline of a sheep on contact paper then took off the paper backing and taped it on our sliding glass door (perfect height for the twins) with the sticky side facing us.  Then I gave the girls white cotton balls on a tray and they had a blast covering the sheep with "wool". They liked covering the sheep's eyes and playing "peek-a-boo"!




Corn with Cheerios
I cut yellow and green paper and glued it on white paper to make the corn shape.  Then the girls helped me spread school glue on the corn and they pushed cheerios into the glue to make the corn.



Farm Learning Mat
Back when I was student teaching in Kindergarten, I created a farm unit.  For a math component, I created a learning mat by drawing a farm scene which I then laminated.  The Kindergarten students needed to put plastic play farm animals (For Kindergarten, I used play farm animals that I got from Lakeshore which are so cute but way too little for the girls right now so they had to use these farm animals counters) on the mat and then create story problems and number sentences about the animals.  The girls aren't quite there yet! so we just played with the farm animals on the mat.  We liked making the ducks swim in the pond, line the cows up in the field and make the horses take a nap in the barn!





"Mud" Play dough
After my mom retired as a preschool teacher, she gave me a lot of her classroom supplies. The farm animals cookie cutters that we got from Grandma's classroom needed some special play dough to go in!  So I found a "mud" (chocolate) play dough recipe to make.   It's great that Miss L can try a few bites if she wants, it smells good and really looks like mud!  Here is the recipe I used http://janne.cc/2011/10/05/chocolate-dirt-playdough-recipe-zoo-activity/
Tip:  You really need to use the EXACT amount of ingredients to get good play dough.  I didn't have quite enough cream of tarter but I decided to try it anyways and it turned out too dry and crumbly.

No comments :

Post a Comment